Over the last couple weeks, I’ve spent some time reflecting on my experience as a single woman. There were some parts of it that were spectacular, but there were also portions that were like a rollercoaster ride. When I talk to my single girlfriends about dating in 2020, they tell me that it’s more so like being on a runaway train.
Singleness can be a complicated season, but I want to share some hope. Whether you are single and loving it, hoping to meet someone, or somewhere in between, I am praying for you. I want you to know that your married sisters love you, and are praying that you receive what you desire.
10 Truths for You
- You are stunning. Your skin, your hair and your features were all hand-picked by God. Never doubt your beauty.
- You are the prize, and you should only entertain those who recognize the priceless and inherent value you possess.
- You deserve to be pursued, considered, respected, and cherished in a relationship.
- Second place girl is not your portion. You warrant a love that is all your own.
- There is nothing wrong with having requirements and preferences. Never feel that you have to pare down your needs to be loved.
- Your relationship status does not determine your worth. It doesn’t matter how much people around you attempt to apply pressure or inquire about it. Your value comes from God. It is not lower because you’re single, nor will it be higher if you marry.
- There is no need for you to alter your personality, hobbies or beliefs to fit into someone’s life. Some level of sacrifice? Yes. Contortionism? No.
- You can fully appreciate love that you didn’t have to fight for. A friend of mine shares a great story about this here.
- The timing of your sexual debut or the number of partners you’ve had or not had have no bearing on your worth. Even though society will try to tell you it is, you are no less worthy of love and a glorious marriage because you’ve had or not had sex.
- Lastly, please don’t feel shame for your desire to be loved. You were created for love, and the need to be loved is valid and natural.
I am praying for showers of incredible partners and spouses for my single sisters (who desire them) in 2021. Let it be so!